The first requirement for better breathing is using the nose. Let’s take a look at what happens during nasal breathing and why it's so important:
- The airways are protected since the nose humidifies, filters, and warms the incoming air.
- As the nose is smaller than the mouth, there is about 50% more resistance. This means slower breathing resulting in greater oxygen uptake in the blood.
- There’s an increase in carbon dioxide at the end of exhalation which helps release oxygen from the blood into the tissues and organs.
- Nitric oxide produced in the paranasal sinuses is carried into the lower airways.
- When breathing through the nose you can engage your diaphragm more easily.
- Nose breathing provides better recovery post exercise due to increased oxygen uptake in the blood.
To summarize: Nose breathing is efficient breathing with
Remember to keep your mouth closed ⛔ and breathe with your nose ✅
Stay healthy, stay happy.